New Vogue Dance
The New Vogue Dance Style is an Australian form of sequence dancing that originated in the 1930s. Since then it has become an important part in the ballroom scene not just in Australia but is extremely popular in New Zealand, holding as much importance in social and competition dancing as Latin American Dance or International Standard (ballroom) dances.
There are a large number of New Vogue Dances, although only a handful are common. All New Vogue Dances are based on a sequence of dance steps which are continually repeated, usually until the dance music ends. The dance sequences are always either 16 or 32 bars long, and require dance music that is in turn “sequenced” (composed of verses that are either 16 or 32 bars long). New Vogue Dances can be danced at different levels, with higher levels requiring more precise steps and the addition of arm and torso movement, known as “dance styling”. New Vogue Dances are based on one of several sub categories, including Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm, Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm, March Dance Rhythm and Tango Dance Rhythm.
Competition New Vogue Dances
Out of the many New Vogue Dances, fifteen are recognised for use in Dancesport competitions. These, and their rhythms, are listed below.
Dancesport Championship Competition Dances
- Merrilyn – Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm
- Charmaine – Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm
- Carousel - Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm
- Excelsior Schottische - Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm
- Barclay Blues - Slow Foxtrot Dance Rhythm
- Evening Three Step- March Dance Rhythm
- GypsyTap - March Dance Rhythm
- Tangoette – Tango Dance Rhythm
- Tango Terrific – Tango Dance Rhythm
- La Bomba – Tango Dance Rhythm
- Lucille Waltz – Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm
- Parma Waltz – Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm
- Swing Waltz – Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm
- Tracie Leigh Waltz – Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm
- Twilight Waltz – Viennese Waltz Dance Rhythm
These dances vary in length and difficulty and as such the harder dances are performed at higher levels.
Our Tauranga Dance School have found the New Vogue Dance Style has become very popular socially. We provide New Vogue Dance Classes for Beginners through to the very Advanced Dancer and this style is also available for medal tests.